So you have ventured into the world of creating edibles in your kitchen – an exciting time! If you haven’t tried this yet but would like a great recipe – see Jamie’s post on our blog (next week) where she shares an excellent recipe for Fruity Rice Krispy Treats that even the pickiest canna-consumer will appreciate!
While there is no way to know exactly how potent your end product is without a lab, there is an easy calculation you can do to find an estimate!
Here is a simple formula for calculating the strength of your homemade edibles made using a single batch of cannabutter:
- How many grams of flower did you use to make your cannabutter? Multiply this by 1,000 – this converts it to milligrams (mg).
- What is the THC percentage of your flower? Multiply the weight of your flower in milligrams (from our last step!) by the percentage of THC in your flower.
- This is the estimated total milligrams in the whole batch. Divide this by the number of pieces you cut your batch into – now you know the dosage of your treat!
For Example: If we used 7g of flower with 12.5% THC:
- 7g x 1,000 = 7,000mg
- 7,000mg x .125 = 875mg
- Cut into 12 pieces: 875mg / 12 pieces = 72.91mg per piece!
Cut into 24 pieces: 875mg / 24 pieces = 36.46mg per piece!
Cut into 36 pieces: 875mg / 36 pieces = 24.31mg per piece!
Cut into 48 pieces: 875mg / 48 pieces = 18.23mg per piece!
Making edibles with distillate? While this can be tricky for some foods (such as gummies) it is an easy way to customize foods at home. To calculate your edibles dosage using distillate:
- How many mg of THC is in your distillate? Take the volume of distillate you used in mg (make sure this is in mg – not grams!) and multiply it by the THC percentage.
- Divide this by the number of pieces you cut your batch into – now you know the dosage of your treat!
For Example: If we used 500mg of distillate with 95% THC:
- 500mg x 0.95 = 475mg
- Cut into 12 pieces: 475mg / 12 pieces = 39.58mg per piece!
Cut into 24 pieces: 875mg / 24 pieces = 19.79mg per piece!
Cut into 36 pieces: 875mg / 36 pieces = 13.19mg per piece!
Cut into 48 pieces: 875mg / 48 pieces = 9.90mg per piece!
Now that you know your dose, how much should you eat?
We recommend starting out low and slow – try a low dose, and give it extra time to kick in before taking any more. A good rule of thumb for a new user is to try an edible with 5mg of THC, and wait 2-3 hours before taking any more. Take notes of how strong the high feels, and how quickly it kicks in. Even if you are an experienced edibles user, or have a high tolerance, it is still a good idea to start low and slow with the first bite of a new batch of edibles.